This past weekend my family and I had the pleasure of driving from the Chicago area to Columbia Missouri, to visit the University of Missouri. I must admit, college has certainly changed since I attended.
For one, the college experience now comes complete with:
- Dorms that look like fancy hotel rooms
- Spas and wade pools
- Tanning salons
- Food courts
- And a host of other amenities
If I were a college student today, I would never leave school for the real world. I think I might delay it for as long as possible. However, I came away very impressed with Mizzou.
The campus was beautiful and everyone we met — faculty, administrator and student alike, were very pleasant. Needless to say my kid is now even more in love with the school.
My kid wants to major in broadcast journalism. Missouri is said to be one of the top schools in the country for this major. The University of Missouri just happens to have its own NBC affiliate, how about that.
All-in-all, it was an enjoyable time and I must admit, deep down inside I kind of wish that I was back in school.
Share Your Experience
- Have you gone on any college visits with your kid?
- What was your impression of the visit?
- After the visit did your child’s opinion of the school increase or did the visit cause them to re-think their decision?
- Do you think that college has become a country club, thus giving our children a false idea of what the real world is like?
Was this Useful for You?
If so, subscribe to our mailing list and get regular updates from us!
Thank you for subscribing.